Sunday, February 21, 2010

Les Abranis - Chenar Le Blues  (Les Abranis, 1977)

It was only in the past year or so that Amazigh-language television channels were finally launched in Algeria and Morocco. From what I've read, it was a very welcome advancement because for many years Amazighs have been treated like foreigners in their own country. Les Abranis were one of many music bands of the Amazigh ethnicity who struggled to find national exposure during the 1970's. Led by Karim Abdenour and Shamy El Baz, the group craftily maneuvered its way onto Algerian television by participating in the Wilaya de Bejaia Bowling Championships. After winning the tournament they were invited to perform the song "A Yema" during the halftime show the following year, which from what I gather is not quite the equivalent of performing at the Superbowl, but more on the level of the NBA All-Star game.


5 Comments:

Perrata 2000 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hottimes said...

The sweater? I want tha skills!

Mr. Daad said...

I want tha whole album please ;)

Jo/No said...

Wow wow wow!!! These two cuts are just amazingly sweet! Thank you big time for these and oh so many other new fave´s I've found here.

Keep it up, your blog is one of the very finest around! I wish you the best of christmas and a cheerful new year.

My own humble blog, with some assorted old nuggets and what not:
www.jonosaudio.blogspot.com

Jo/No said...

Great! Love these 2! Thanks a lot.

I've posted a few groovy tunes from 70's Libya that you may enjoy:

www.jonosaudio.blogspot.com