Sunday, May 31, 2009


Marilyn T. was some kinda of militant lesbian feminist rapper, and that's about all I know. The only listing of this recording I could find anywhere was in the Women's Revolutions Per Minute Recordings Archive at the Birmingham library in England. The album was released in 1987 on cassette format by the Raging Raps label out of Boulder, Colorado. (I wasn't able to uncover any info about the label, either).

What I do know for sure is that for the past couple weeks I've been driving around town with this bizarre tape BLASTING from the stereo and getting very strange looks at stop signs. I hesitate to call it the best rap I've ever heard, only because I'm probably forgetting something better. Marilyn covers such a wide range of topics it's truly mind-boggling. On "False Alarm" she addresses everything from the game show Sale of the Century to Princess Diana's fondness for Barry Gibb. "Time And Motion" is about her adventures on the subway. What really impresses me, though, is how she can start off with a cockney english accent, let it gradually fade away, and by the end of Side B (on "Amazon Rap"), sound like an African immigrant who has spent the past 20 years living in Georgia. Marilyn sure likes to keep us guessing.

1 Comment:

Alex said...

these songs made me feel the way she looks. I'm going home early.