Friday, May 8, 2009


On Tuesdays I play chess with an old fella, Yusuf, who sang pop songs in the seventies, with no little success apparently. He can't play chess for toffee, mind you. Last week we got talking about Obama, Osama and white jazz, and he asked me to do him a jazz mix. I began the task with the best of intentions but my attention is prone to wander and though the mix starts and ends with straight no chaser jazz, it takes a few unexpected detours en route. In my defence though, these Jizzerman selections are truer to the spirit of jazz in terms of "out there" sonic and melodic invention than all those shiny imposters who claim the word for themselves.

JACK TEAGARDEN  Davenport Blues •  STELIOS KAZANTZIDIS   Efuge Efuge  •  FLOATING POINTS   Shangrila  •  DIZZEE RASCAL   Stand Up Tall (Starkey Remix)  •  HUDSON MOHAWKE   Monde •  BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN   Tougher (Mark Vogel Edit)  • LOS WAWANCO   Tiburon  •  HOAGY CARMICHAEL   Barnacle Bill The Sailor  •  WELDON IRVINE   Bananas  •  MADELINE BELL   I Didn't Want To Have To Do It  •  DEODATO   El Hotel De Adan  • THE GATURS   Get Up  • THE THIRD WAVE   Don't Ever Go  • ST. AUGUSTINE & HIS ROVERS BAND   Abu Special  •  ETOILE DE DAKAR  Thiely  •  RAYMOND SCOTT   Vicks: Formula 44  •  BURNING SPEAR   He Prayed  •  YVES MONTAND   Rue St. Vincent  •  ALICE SWOBODA   Potter's Field  •  SUN RA   21st Century Romance  •  CHEB ZERGUI   Ana Dellali  •  BENNY GOODMAN   I'm Coming Virginia (Live)

 

2 Comments:

Gatto999 said...

Great !...

Ciao from Italy
:)

Yusuf said...

Is beautiful your jazz, Mr Jonh, I like very much. I like explore sonic melodies and also Monica Seles. Also Lucie you are very beautiful and you ride horse well too - please you will marry Yusuf, yes?